to you. Your life is coming apart.
6. When you have a lot at stake, you are taking a big risk. The result of what you are doing is very important.
very high marks because a lot is at stake. If your
marks are too low, you won't get into a good university.
We often use the expression high stakes test or exam, when we refer to the TOEFL or PELTS Exams. We also say high stakes presentation or meeting.
Practice the expressions by asking and answering the questions with your friends. Make sure you use the actual expression in your sentences.
1. Do you give up quickly when things become difficult, or do you keep working at the
problem for a long time. In what kind of situations do you give up more easily
than others? Why?
2. When is the last time things got rough for you? What happened? How did you handle it?
3. Do you ever tell people when you need some space? Why or why not? Where do you
go when you need some space?
4. Talk about an experience you had when there was a lot at stake. What happened? Were
5. Do you need to take a high stakes exam or test? What is it? Why do you need to take
6. Have you ever felt like your world was caving in? Tell about what was happening at the
time. What did you do?