Are you finding it difficult to step outside your comfort zone and make the first move?
Today it is easier than ever to get to know different types of people in your city or town through social networking - especially with a resource called Meetup. Meetup has more than 9.5 million membersin 40 countries around the world. Thousands of people from Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Mexico, India and many others belong to meet up groups. Meet up groups were created to solve the problem of feeling alone and isolated in big cities . The groups are designed to help people make local connections and meet new people who share similar interests. The meetup web site provides information on thousands of special interest groups, so it is easy to find a topic and a group that interests you.
- English conversation practice
- Socializing in general
- Board games
- Sports of every kind
- Mothers with young children
What Happens at a Meetup Group?
It is very easy to join because meetup groups are usually informal and open to anyone who is interested in the topic. Members will immediately welcome you and make you feel comfortable - even if you are not English speaking. In fact, if your English is not perfect, members are likely to help you. Friends are also welcome, so if you feel nervous about joining a group, bring along a friend for moral support.
Most Meetups happen at restaurants, cafés, or public parks, and some groups meet in offices or private homes. You will often find a printed sign to help you find the Meetup Group. Some Meetups are based around activities—like knitting or language practice.
Others focus on organizing for a cause like raising money, or planning an event. At other Meetups, people share information and stories, such as a shared health condition or what it’s like to be new in town. There are thousands of options to meet new people.
How to find a Meetup Group
- Go to Meetup.com
- or...go to google. Type in Meetup groups and the name of your city.
- Search on a topic, and enter the name of your city, postal code,or zip code.
- You will see a list of the Meetup groups that are closest to you. The distance is indicated in miles.
- Click on a name to go to the group's website where you can learn more about the group, its members, its activities and times and locations of events.
- Attend the group and meet new people!